Sunday, April 1, 2007

A Tale of Two e-Newletters

#1: DrWeil.com

This newsletter and the site it comes from definitely have commercial goals (the profits of drweil.com's product sales go to fund his non-profit organization, which trains doctors in integrative medicine). There are several ads included in the newsletter. This means the ad-to-content ratio is pretty high, since this is a short, daily email. Each newsletter contains one or two teasers for an article, and one Q & A (actually just the question, as a link). It's so short I can see the whole thing on my email inbox page. Which is probably the reason that I don't unsubscribe - because I can scan it in seconds & make an instant decision on whether to click through or dump it.

#2: Nat Decants

I discovered Natalie MacLean's website through her award-winning book about wine, "Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey From Grape to Glass." I really enjoyed her book, so it's a shame that her newsletters don't work very well. The main problems are that they are made up of massive blocks of text, and the text goes on and on. The newsletter would benefit from making better use of HTML capabilities by laying out text on the page in chunks and subdividing articles. Although the newsletter only comes once a fornight, I've yet to read one through. I tried once, but gave up 15 min. later with the end still not in sight.

No comments: